This Black Bean Steamed Pork recipe was handed down to me from my father. A true Hakka-style dish that tastes even better the next day. Easy and tasty – even addictive once you’ve tasted it! To give it a Jamaican flavor add a little scotch bonnet pepper.
- Pork shoulder, butt, leg or belly, with fat retained
- 1 Sheet salted black bean (new sheet)
- Fresh garlic
- Soy sauce
- Dried orange peel, soaked (Go Pei)
- Brown sugar
- Sherry (optional)
- Oil for browning
- Optional – A few slices of scotch bonnet pepper ( include the seeds for more heat)
- Season pork with black bean, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, orange peel, brown sugar and sherry , if desired.
- Brown in oil to seal in juices
- Steam at least 2 hours, or more, until pork tears easily with chopsticks.
- Optional – Serve with scotch bonnet slices on top