Callaloo Soup is popular in the Caribbean. Callaloo originated in West Africa and was brought over to the Caribbean in the seventeenth century. Callaloo is very similar to spinach and is served in many different dishes across the Caribbean. Enjoy our delicious and healthy Callaloo Soup recipe.
- 2 bundles (12 oz) callaloo
- 1 lb coco/tannia, cut up (sweet potato may be substituted)
- ½ cup onion
- 2 small irish potatoes, cut up(optional)
- 12 oz beef salted meat
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ cup chive
- ½ teaspoon all purpose seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 8 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
Get our recipes on your mobile phone. Buy our iPhone or Android Recipe App. Buy the cook book “Simple Jamaican Cooking”. Looking for Jamaican recipe ingredients & seasoning Shop Now in our online store.
- Cut salt meat; soak for 1 hour.
- Boil salt and fresh meats together for ½ hour.
- Cut callaloo leaves; wash thoroughly.
- Add to beef; bring all to boil.
- Add remaining ingredients; adjust seasoning.
- Reduce heat; cook until meat and vegetables are tender.
- 10 minutes before soup is done, add dumplings. Remove from heat.