Advice & Help

Legal Wiz – I need to stop my estranged hubby from getting my land when I die

QUESTION: Dear Legal Wiz,
I am currently married but have been separated for a lot of years. I am Jamaican and my estranged husband is American. I dont know if he is dead or alive.
I have purchased a home in Jamaica since our separation. He has never contributed to this house nor has he ever set foot in it or is aware of its existence.
I have made a will leaving the house to one of my sons. I left my estranged husband $1 Jamaican dollar. In case he suddenly decides to show up…Will my son have any problems gaining sole ownership of the property?
Marsha Grey
RESPONSE: Dear Marsha Grey,
There is not much that the attorneys-at-law are prepared to discuss in this general column as it relates to your issue. However, the suggestion is made to add your son to the title as a joint owner. For any further information, please do arrange for a personal consultation session either with an attorney within our network or an independent one.
Legal Wiz

About the author

Jamaica Legal Wiz

A network of professional experts, mostly Jamaicans, from varied fields including as priority paralegal, investigation, research, real estate, construction, arts and entertainment, certified Attorneys (civil and criminal law), journalism. Information is researched, then published, on this site, in the interest of the wider public. Link me here