Advice & Help

Man put his name on dad’s title 18 years ago

QUESTION: Dear Legal Wiz,
I went to my dad about another name I am seeing on his title for a place he bought 18 years now. He told me he didnt know it got there as the name belongs to a man who followed him to the ‘Housing’ who sold it to him. My dad cant read nor write.
We want the name removed because this man is collecting rent from the tenants we recently put there.

RESPONSE: Dear Tony,
The first step would be to research what happened 18 years ago. You will need to contact the Housing unit to ascertain how both names got on the title. The steps you would take after that are dependent on what you are told.
In the meantime, if this person is collecting money from the property, action can be taken against him and the tenant.
Legal Wiz

The above does not constitute legal advice. Inhouse senior journalists research and discuss with specialists eg attorneys-at-law, as necessary before posting responses. In conclusion, names are changed at times by request.


For attorney-support services (including research, documentation, collections, legwork, agent, property overseer, housesitter, follow ups et al) in Jamaica you may call 876-530-5744 or 305-648-6963 or simply write to [email protected] to make private arrangements beyond the commitment of this mediahouse.
Critically the Legal Wiz networks professionals from fields in the interest of all Jamaicans and persons relating with Jamaicans.
Physical office is at Suite # 1, 3 South Avenue, Swallowfield, Kingston 5, Jamaica West Indies. Rates may apply. See more

About the author

Jamaica Legal Wiz

A network of professional experts, mostly Jamaicans, from varied fields including as priority paralegal, investigation, research, real estate, construction, arts and entertainment, certified Attorneys (civil and criminal law), journalism. Information is researched, then published, on this site, in the interest of the wider public. Link me here