I need a deed poll, but I dont want to use my marriage info

QUESTION: Dear Legal Wiz,
My documents got lost and I need to replace them. When I went to the authorities they told me I have to deed poll my name as my last name on the birth papers did not have a hyphen.
When I tried to deed poll my name, they say I need to reveal my marriage information. Can you check if there is any other way to get my name to have the hyphen.

RESPONSE: Dear Lori,
I checked with the Registrar General Department, and they told me that you need to check if your father had his two names hyphenated on his birth certificate. That way , you just need to correct your birth certificate.
Legal Wiz

The above does not constitute legal advice. The responses are prepared and published by inhouse senior journalists after research and discussion with attorneys-at-law and other specialists, as necessary.
The Legal Wiz networks professionals from all fields to serve the interest of all Jamaicans and persons relating with Jamaicans.