Advice & Help

No maintenance paid by owner for Jamaican apartment

QUESTION: Dear Legal Wiz,
One of the apartment owners in the building I manage refuse to pay for the maintenance. The National Housing Trust sold the apartments under the strata plan, but he is still paying mortgage.
I want to take him to court, but dont know what I need, and I am confused about if I can do it or should the National Housing Trust.
Help me please.

legal wiz piece apartment

RESPONSE Dear Bruce,
The first step would be to go to the Commission of Strata Corporation and acquire documentation on what the terms and conditions are. Also check out the requirements by law by reviewing the Strata Titles Act.
You also need to get a document to show that you are legally empowered to sue the man in your capacity of building manager.
Legal Wiz

The responses to the varied submitted questions are drafted by our inhouse journalist, after research and consultations with attorneys-at-law and other experts in relating fields. It is not to be assumed therefore that all members of the Legal Wiz team are trained and practicing attorneys-at-law, realtors, investigators, but being a part of the network such personnel utilise their skills for the success of the ultimate client.

About the author

Jamaica Legal Wiz

A network of professional experts, mostly Jamaicans, from varied fields including as priority paralegal, investigation, research, real estate, construction, arts and entertainment, certified Attorneys (civil and criminal law), journalism. Information is researched, then published, on this site, in the interest of the wider public. Link me here