Advice & Help

No utility bill, what can I use for bailing a Jamaican citizen under arrest

QUESTION: Dear Legal wiz,

My nephew who is living on rented property got arrested. They are allowing him bail, but the person who wants to help him does not have any utility bills. Its been going forever Can you help us?

Marsha Martin


RESPONSE: Dear Marsha,

The bail process requirements differ from station to station. However, generally speaking you can ask someone from the yard where he lives permanently to supply the electricity bill and write a letter confirmed by a Justice Of the Peace that they live at that address. You can also check if the relating station will allow the person interested in bailing your nephew if they will accept a letter from the Justice of The Peace confirming the permanent address of your nephew as this is an accepted substitute for utility bills at some stations.


Legal Wiz

About the author

Jamaica Legal Wiz

A network of professional experts, mostly Jamaicans, from varied fields including as priority paralegal, investigation, research, real estate, construction, arts and entertainment, certified Attorneys (civil and criminal law), journalism. Information is researched, then published, on this site, in the interest of the wider public. Link me here