Festival can best be described as a slightly sweet, crispy cornmeal fritters that is frequently served in Jamaica with fried fish. They get their name because eating them is like having a festival in your mouth.
- 2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup of water
- 1-quart vegetable oil for frying
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Add water to make a soft dough.
- Divide into a 5×3 inch flat shape in long dumplings.
- Heat the oil to 350° in a large saucepan,
- Fry the dumplings until golden all over, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels and serve hot.