Sunday Rice and Peas is a must but when you are on the go it can be a challenge. Our quick rice and peas is for the person on the go that wants to have Jamaica’s “Coat and Arms’, but quickly with a Rice Cooker and pre-cooked pigeon or red peas.
- 3 Cups Uncle Bens Rice
- 3 Sprigs thyme
- 2 Clove Garlic
- 2 Stalks scallion
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 can green pigeon or red peas with coconut milk (Ocho Rio brand)
- 1 can coconut milk
- Approximately 2 Water Or the required amount to reach 4 cups of rice in your rice cooker. (VERY IMPORTANT)
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper
Get our recipes on your mobile phone. Buy our iPhone or Android Recipe App. Buy the cook book “Simple Jamaican Cooking”. Looking for Jamaican recipe ingredients & seasoning Shop Now in our online store.
- Pour the rice in the Rice Cooker.
- Combine the water with the green pigeon peas, and coconut milk into a pot.
- Be sure the rice is completely covered with water. Be sure you fill to required line of your rice cooking (VERY IMPORTANT)
- Add the salt, pepper, thyme, Garlic and scallion
- Place Scotch bonnet in the pot
- Turn on the rice cook
- Serve once the rice cooker has completed cooking. Do not keep the rice cooker on warm as it will burn the bottom of the rice.