Our delicious Jamaican Orange Tea Bread is perfect for an afternoon treat.
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 teaspoons baking powder
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil (or other cooking oil)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup orange juice
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 cup chopped candied orange peel
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
- 2. Grease 2 loaf pans (9″ x 5″).
- 3. Into a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Set to one side.
- 4. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs. Stir in the orange juice, coconut oil, ginger, orange peel and zest.
- 5. Pour egg mixture into the bowl with the flour mixture and stir, just enough to mix the ingredients together. Do not over-stir.
- 6. Divide the resulting mixture into the 2 loaf pans and place in the preheated oven until a toothpick or knife stuck into the center comes out clean (about 1 hour).
- 7. Remove from oven and cool for 8 to 10 minutes before removing bread from pan. Complete cooling on a wire rack.
- Tastes great toasted and served with jam and tea.
YIELDS 2 loaves, each loaf serving 10 – 12