I bet you thought you tried just about everything “Jerk”. My Southern Fried Jerk Chicken is a great fusion of the Jamaican and North American cuisines. You are going to love, Southern Fried Jerk Chicken.
- 1-Cup Buttermilk
- ⅔ cup Red Stripe Beer
- 8 Drumsticks
- 1 cup yellow Cornmeal
- 1 Cup all Purpose Flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup Dry Jerk Seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon Paprika
- 2 Tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- Vegetable or Peanut Oil for frying
Shop Now for Jamaican recipe ingredients & seasoning in our online store.
- Combine the Red Stripe Beer and Cup Buttermilk in a large glass bowl.
- Add Chicken to the bowl and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, jerk seasoning, cornstarch, paprika, salt and pepper in a bowl. Mix to combine.
- Drain the chicken and discard the marinade.
- Toss the Chicken lightly one at a time to coat them. You can use a zip lock bag with the breading mixture to do this.
- Place the breaded chicken on a large baking sheet lined with wax paper. Be sure they do not touch each other. Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Pour oil in 2-3 inch deep skillet. Heat oil to approx 355f (check with frying thermometer).
- Add the chicken 2 at a time. Fry each for about 4 minutes on each side or until they are golden brown
- Remove each piece of chicken and place on paper towel to drain oil. Transfer to an oven safe platter once oil is drained.
- Place in an oven set at 200f to keep warm. Once all the chicken is cooked, it is best to serve immediately.