The Negril Area of Jamaica is mainly known for its nightlife, Reggae Music and the Best Beach in Jamaica. Of course, there is more to do in Negril than sit on a perfect beach! Here is my “10 FAVORITE DESTINATIONS” around the Negril Area of Jamaica. I will divide them into two categories (five in each). You will see some overlapping each other but I assure you, each is somehow significantly different in experience.
- MAYFIELD FALLS – Three waterfalls and 21 pools make Mayfield very special. Somewhat strenuous of a hike to get there. Nice spot.
- SUNSET AT RICK’S/PICKLED PARROT – World Famous for spectacular sunsets. Cliff Diving and waterslide for excitement. Happy Hour after Sunset with live music. A must see. Crowded.
- ROYAL PALM RESERVE – Located within the Great Morass an eco-tourism tour is offered by the Negril Environmental Protection Trust NEPT featuring wonderful walking trails, wildlife and beautiful plants. Serene. For the nature lover.
- HORSEBACK RIDING – Babo’s Riding Stable offers 2 hour rides into the Negril Hills and the ruins of Whitehall Great House. Babo is locally known as the “Rasta Cowboy”. An adventure!
- SCUBA DIVING – Negril offers several top-flight sites to scuba dive suitable for all levels of expertise. 100ft.+ visibility and usually calm waters heighten the viewing of countless varieties of plants and marine life. Dives of 35ft up to 75ft are offered. Great!
- HORSEBACK RIDING – This time at Rhodes Mineral Springs & Beach. Crocodiles at the mouth of the river, hot mineral springs bubbling at the beach and thatched roof bars and snack shop. Oh, horseback riding too! Beach Party on Sunday night! Definitely a different experience!
- ROARING RIVER & BLUE HOLE – Gushing from a hole in meadow full of hyacinths and water lilies, the mineral water forms an excellent spot to meditate. Steps lead to a cave and a hole for swimming. Off Beat but a nice way to spend a day!
- LITTLE BAY – Just a little south of the West End of Negril lays this sleepy little community. Famous for being a former “hangout” of Bob Marley, this spot has some nice beaches and friendly people. You can visit Bob Marley’s Spring where he used to bathe. Great place to get away from the hustle of Negril.
- SUGAR PLANTATION TOUR AT FROME – Free tours arranged if you call for reservations. Site of labor dispute that sparked Jamaica’s Labour Movement and first Political Party. Huge working plantation built in 1938 by the West Indies Sugar Company. Informative tour. Informally run.
- PETER TOSH’S MONUMENT IN BELMONT – A beautiful drive down Jamaica’s South Western Coast from Sav-La-Mar brings you to the fishing village of Belmont and to the birth and resting place of one of the founding members of the Wailers….Peter Tosh. Memorable for the Reggae Aficionados!
The Negril Area of Jamaica has something for everyone. I hope this list will help you decide to make this area your next travel destination!
Need help in planning your adventure travel while in Jamaica. Feel free to email me at the following addresses : [email protected]