Advice & Help

Immigration Q & A: What does the Dream Act offer undocumented young Jamaicans like me?

Dream Act Immigration Student

I am Jamaican. My parents took me to New York when I was 5 years old. I am now 17 in high school and undocumented. I want to go to college but don’t know if can without a green card. I heard about the Dream Act. What does the Dream Act offer undocumented young people like me? – Kelly-Ann

The Dream Act was not passed as a Federal Act, however, several states adopted their own version. New York has such an act that allows an undocumented immigrant to go to college. The person must have attended a New York high school for at least two years and graduated or obtained a GED. Enroll in a college or university in NY within 5 years of graduation. Affirm they will apply for legal immigration status as soon as they are able to. Then meet higher education requirements for TAP.

Everyone please remember that we write these immigration articles to provide a service to you. We want our articles to address immigration questions and concerns that you want to hear about. If you have a question or an immigration topic that you would like to learn more about you can contact me directly at 954-655-6593 or via email at: [email protected]

Disclaimer: This article is a broad overview. This article is not legal advice and should not be taken as legal advice. This article is provided as a public service and is not intended to establish an attorney-client relationship. Any reliance on the information contained herein is taken at your own risk. The information provided in this article should never replace informed counsel when specific immigration-related

About the author

Andre Maragh Esq.