Yam is one of the main staples with a Jamaican meal. It is rumored that Jamaican yellow yam is the secret to Jamaica’s track athlete Olympic success. Boiled yam is the most popular this dish is serviced. Enjoy our boiled yam recipe.
- 3 lbs. Yam Teaspoon
- Salt or a small piece Salt fish (cod fish)
- Put gloves on your hand as touching raw can will irritate the skin and cause it to itch. If you do not have gloves rub oil on your hands.
- Boil water in pot on a high fire.
- Peel the skin off the yam. The peel should be approximately ¼ inch
- Cut yam in small serving portions
- Rinse the pieces in cold water.
- Place the salt or salt fish in the boiling water
- Add the pieces of yam
- Cook for approximately 32 minutes until tender
- Serve warm