(From member on our Ackee and Saltfish message board.)
- 2 pkg yeast
- 1 teasp sugar
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup warm milk
- 1 + 1/2 teasp salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- about 3 cups flour
- 1/2 cup butter melted
Shop Now for Jamaican recipe ingredients & seasoning in our online store.
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in water then stir in milk, salt and egg.
- Add 1/2 of the flour and stir, continue to add flour until you have a dough that can be turned out of the bowl. Knead the dough for 10 mins. until smooth but firm.
- Oil a clean bowl and turn the dough in it until coated.
- Cover with a damp towel and let it rise for 1 hr. cut into 10 portions roll each piece into a 6 inch diameter circle. Brush with melted butter then fold in 1/2.
- Brush with more butter and fold in 1/2 again.
- Set breads on a oiled baking sheet and let them rise until they double in size.
- Preheat oven to 425 F set a pan of hot water on the lowest oven rack.
- Bake for about 12 – 15 mins. or until golden brown.