I have a UK power of attorney and want to use it in Jamaica

QUESTION: Dear Legal Wiz,
I live in the UK and have a Residency and Property Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) for both of my parents. They also live in the UK and have property and financial assets in Jamaica. Will my LPA be recognised in Jamaica?
Roger Lindsay

legal wiz_pen_writing

RESPONSE: Dear Roger
Please be prepared to take all necessary steps to record the power of attorney instrument in Jamaica, as it is a different jurisdiction.

Legal Wiz


The above does not constitute legal advice. The responses are prepared and published by inhouse senior journalists after research and discussion with attorneys-at-law and other specialists, as necessary.
The Legal Wiz networks professionals from all fields to serve the interest of all Jamaicans and persons relating with Jamaicans.


  • Jamaica Legal Wiz

    A network of professional experts, mostly Jamaicans, from varied fields including as priority paralegal, investigation, research, real estate, construction, arts and entertainment, certified Attorneys (civil and criminal law), journalism. Information is researched, then published, on this site, in the interest of the wider public. Link me here

    View all posts