An excellent method for preparing fish, it brings together some of the healthiest ingredients of the Jamaican kitchen. The nutritional benefits of fish are well-known, and breadfruit provides extra protein, carbs, and fiber along with important minerals like calcium and potassium.
- 2 cups fish, cooked and flaked (salted fish may be used)
- 2 cups breadfruit, cooked and mashed
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 stalks celery, minced
- 1 oz. margarine
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 2 egg whites, beaten stiff
- Oil for frying
- Red and green peppers for garnish
- Mix the flaked fish and crushed breadfruit together. Sauté the onion and celery in the margarine until soft.
- Add the softened seasonings, along with the lime juice, salt and pepper to the breadfruit mixture.
- Beat together well and taste to check seasonings.
- Fold the beaten egg whites into the breadfruit mixture.
- Heat oil in a frying pan.
- Drop the batter by spoonfuls into the breadcrumbs and shape as desired.
- Fry the coated shapes in hot oil, turning until browned on all sides. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve garnished with slices of red and green peppers.