An excellent method for preparing fish, it brings together some of the healthiest ingredients of the Jamaican kitchen. The nutritional benefits of fish are well-known, and breadfruit provides extra protein, carbs, and fiber along with important minerals like calcium and potassium.
- 2 cups fish, cooked and flaked (salted fish may be used)
- 2 cups breadfruit, cooked and mashed
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 stalks celery, minced
- 1 oz. margarine
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 2 egg whites, beaten stiff
- Oil for frying
- Red and green peppers for garnish
Get our recipes on your mobile phone. Buy our iPhone or Android Recipe App. Buy the cook book “Simple Jamaican Cooking”. Looking for Jamaican recipe ingredients & seasoning Shop Now in our online store.
- Mix the flaked fish and crushed breadfruit together. Sauté the onion and celery in the margarine until soft.
- Add the softened seasonings, along with the lime juice, salt and pepper to the breadfruit mixture.
- Beat together well and taste to check seasonings.
- Fold the beaten egg whites into the breadfruit mixture.
- Heat oil in a frying pan.
- Drop the batter by spoonfuls into the breadcrumbs and shape as desired.
- Fry the coated shapes in hot oil, turning until browned on all sides. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve garnished with slices of red and green peppers.