Canned corned beef, or “bully beef” as it is known in Jamaica, has been transformed by island cooks into a spicy, satisfying dinner dish sure to become a favorite quick and easy meal. During hurricanes it is the meal of choice. Try our simple Bully Beef recipe.
- 1 can corned beef
- 1 medium onion (sliced)
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 medium ripe tomato (chopped)
- 2 stalks scallion (chopped)
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper (de-seed and chopped)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or coconut oil
- 1 tsp. browning (optional)
Get our recipes on your mobile phone. Buy our iPhone or Android Recipe App.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed frying pan (skillet) over moderate heat.
- Add onions, garlic (optional) and scotch bonnet to frying pan. Sauté for approx 1-2 mins.
- Add thyme and corned beef. Turn down heat to medium- low and stir until cooked.
- Add onions, garlic and chopped scotch bonnet in frying pan
- Add chopped tomatoes, scallions, and browning (optional), stir well and cook for another 3 minutes. Use paper towels to absorb the extra vegetable oil, if any.
- Bully Beef is usually served for breakfast with Johnny Cakes, boiled green bananas or toast. It can also be served with white rice.(Serves 4)