Our featured Caribbean recipe is Haitian Goat Stew.
- 3 lbs goat meat, cut into 2″ cubes
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 limes, halved
- 3 shallots, sliced thin
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 sprigs parsley
- 1⁄4 cup Pikliz (see “condiments”)
- 5 cloves
- 1 ½, teaspoons sea salt
- 3/8 teaspoon coursely ground black pepper
- Rinse goat meat in cold water and clean with lime halves.
- Cut goat meat into 2″ cubes. Rinse again and set aside.
- Slice onions and shallots. Mince the garlic cloves and smash with side of knife. Slice parsley.
- Combine onions, shallots, garlic, parsley, cloves, pikliz, salt and pepper to form a marinate. Stir well or “pulse” a couple of times in a blender.
- Marinate goat meat overnight.
- Remove goat from marinate, reserving marinate.
- Heat oil in skillet; add goat.
- Brown for approximately 25 minutes, until dark brown.
- Add 1 cup of water, reserved marinate and tomato paste. Stir well.
- Cover and cook for 45 minutes over medium-low heat.
- While meat is cooking, preheat oven to 375 degrees farenheit.
- Place meat and juices in baking dish and cover with lid or aluminum foil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes. Remove cover and cook for another 15 to 20 minutes uncovered.
- Garnish the Haitian Goat Stew with scallions
SERVES 6 to 7