Jennifer Borgh has lived in Jamaica on and off for the past 7 years. Jennifer is a destination wedding planner with an extensive background in weddings and travel across the Caribbean. She operates the Jamaican wedding venue Borghinvilla, which is located on the border of St.Ann’s and Trelawny. Jennifer tells us about her experience as an Expat in Jamaica, including advice to others who may consider moving to the island. What are Jennifer’s likes and dislikes about Jamaica? Find out in our conversation with Jennifer .
1. Where are you from originally?
I am from Toronto ,Canada.
2. Why did you end up living in Jamaica?
To get away from the weather in Canada.
3. What do you like the most about Jamaica?
The weather, the music, the food
4. What you like, the least about Jamaica?
The slowness, homophobia and lack of supplies.
5. What is your funniest experiences in Jamaica?
Wouldn’t be appropriate to mention but the story ended up being a part of a skit by Ity and Fancy CatJ
6. What was the biggest adjustment you had to make living Jamaica?
Learning a new set of rules as far as taxes, paperwork, permits etc.
7. Your favorite Jamaican food is…
Curry, Jerk, Stew chicken. Black Cake and fresh fruit
8. Your favorite Jamaican attraction is…
Luminous Lagoon, Blue Hole, Mayfield falls, Reggae Sumfest.
9. What is the thing you miss the most when you leave Jamaica?
10. What advice would you offer to an expat moving to Jamaica?
Avoid being too friendly, don’t take no for an answer and work on helping the country be better. Volunteer, Employ locally, support local farmers.
11. Thanks for your time. Any closing thoughts?
Don’t leave Jamaica without visiting every parish!
Photo Credit: A. Vision Studios