Jamaican Hard dough bread, aka hardo bread, is one of the most delicious breads you will ever eat. It is especially good when eaten warm and with butter. I remember growing up and getting the warm hardo bread at the bakery. We would pinch and eat pieces of the bread on the way home.
- 6 cups bread flour
- 1 pack yeast (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pt warm water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 ozs shortening
- Milk or egg white for glazing
- Pour flour into a warm bowl.
- Add shortening to flour & cut in with a knife.
- Add yeast, sugar, and salt
- Add warm water
- Knead until soft and roll-out
- Put in a warm place to rise approx. twice in size.
- Glaze with milk or egg white.
- Bake at 350F until done.