Advice & Help

How can a US-based farm get farmworkers through the Jamaican government?


Dear Legal Wiz,

Based on the Treaty existing between the Ja govt and US Department re the farm work programme, how can a US-based farm partner with the Farm work programme already established by Jamaican government? Our intention is to hire qualified Jamaicans almost immediately, as opposed to being subjected to the two-year process by Florida before being allowed to hire such I nternational workers. Our produce comprise sorrel, peppers, pumpkin, cabbage, callaloo, seasoning.



First and foremostly, you must submit a letter to Ministry of Labour and Social Security, c/o the Minister. To date that person is Honourable Pearnel Charles
The address is :
1 F North Street
Following receipt of the email, the contents and company will be investigated, before any formal proposal/contract can be determined and made.


Questions on legal proceedings back home can be submitted to [email protected]. Questions will then be processed by team specialists in each area, and selected answers will be placed in relevant Questions and Answers sections of participating mediahouses and sites. These include Street Hype Newspaper in New York, (UK), The Agriculturalist, advice channel and on
For actual legwork, follow ups and other needed legal assistant services in Jamaica not requiring the full services of an attorney you may call 876-530-5744 or 305-648-6963 or simply write to [email protected] or [email protected], [email protected] to make private arrangements beyond the commitment of this mediahouse.
Physical office is at Suite # 1, 3 South Avenue, Swallowfield, Kingston 5, Jamaica West Indies
The fee range starts at a minimum of US$50.00/£32.00 for the service if beyond reasonable

About the author

Anthea McGibbon

Anthea McGibbon, Editor and senior journalist, features arts, culture and people of Jamaica. Contact her at [email protected] or [email protected]