How does my husband get my name on his Jamaica house title?

QUESTIONS: Dear Legal Wiz,

Hello, I was reading some of the stories on I have a question and am hoping that you can help me. I live in USA (I was born in Jamaica), but my spouse lives in Jamaica. He wants to add my name to his title for his house (the property is located in Portland),  but I’m unsure as to what to do. Can you give me some advice, please? I  would like to know how we should go about doing this, who we should contact an so forth, and how much this may costs. Thanks in advance and keep up the good work.

Lorna Sterling


RESPONSE: Dear Lorna Sterling,

Provided everything is in order with title and ownership, its just a matter of filling in a transfer form with relevant information such as names of persons to be added. The accompanying fees are minimal, but you will be required to pay transfer tax which usually is 7.5 per cent of the value of the property. Its best to contract the services of an attorney, especially if you think there might be complications involved.

Legal Wiz