Advice & Help

I want my murdered sisters money to buy her dream house in Jamaica

QUESTION: Dear Legal Wiz,
Good day.
My sister was murdered. As her older brother, I want to carry out her intentions before she was killed to buy a house using the funds in her Money Market Account from JMMB. Do I just go in and show that we were related for them to give me the money.
Jureitta Garvey

RESPONSE: Dear Jureitta

An agent from the Jamaica Money Market group (JMMB) was contacted to assist us with authentic information for you. Access as a joint account holder is simple. Take an ID and the death certificate to the nearest branch location to claim the funds.

In the event you are not a joint account holder or if you are unaware of a joint account holder the process is different. If the person did not leave a will, you will need to get a letter to receive information about the deceased’s account, from the Administrator General. The letter from the Administrator General’s office should be taken to the nearest  JMMB location, upon which you will be information on the account will be disclosed to you.
For balances below  JA$100,000, the Administrator General will further advise you how to access the funds. For balances in excess of JA$100,000, an attorney must be contracted for further assistance.

About the author

Jamaica Legal Wiz

A network of professional experts, mostly Jamaicans, from varied fields including as priority paralegal, investigation, research, real estate, construction, arts and entertainment, certified Attorneys (civil and criminal law), journalism. Information is researched, then published, on this site, in the interest of the wider public. Link me here