Overripe bananas never went to waste in our home and many other Jamaican households. They would be used for making one of my favorite dishes, banana fritters. I loved eating banana fritters as it was one of the first breakfast items I learned to make growing up. My mom had the recipe written out on a piece of paper and stuck on the fridge. Here is a simple Jamaican Banana Fritters recipe.
- 3 bananas (overripe – skin brown)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 2 Cups flour (or more for thicker mixture)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Crush bananas until they are they are like a cream.
- Beat eggs
- Combine flour, baking powder, sugar and nutmeg in a bowl
- Add eggs and bananas then mix. Add more flour for a thicker mix.
- Heat saucepan with vegetable oil
- Dip a large spoon into the hot oil then scoop a small batter into the frying pan.
- Deep fry in a frying pan till brown and crisp on the edges.
- Remove from fry pan and put to drain on paper towel and serve