Fish balls is a staple in Hakka Chinese culture. It is one of my favorites because it can be used for so many different dishes. Chinese Fish Balls can be eaten on its own, stir fried, used in noodle soups, boiled, used with noodles, curried or skewered on a BBQ. Try my easy to make Chinese Fish Balls Recipe.
- ½ lb. non-oily fish fillet, cubed. (Flounder is excellent)
- 1 tbsp. coarsely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 scallion (green onion) trimmed & chopped.
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon lard
- ¼ teaspoon MSG (optional)
- 1 egg white
- Salt to taste
- 5 tablespoon water
- ¼ cup of water in which a piece of Chinese dried orange peel has been soaked for an hour
- Put the ginger, scallion, ¼ cup of orange-peel water into an electric blender and blend on high speed.
- Strain the liquid into a bowl through fine cheesecloth and discard solids.
- Rinse out the blender and then place fish cubes into container, adding the 5 tablespoons of water, the sherry, and egg white.
- Blend to form smooth puree, pushing contents down as needed during blending.
- Pour fish mixture into a mixing bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the ginger/ scallion juice., reserving the rest for another use.
- Add the corn starch, salt, optional MSG, and the lard.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Prepare 2 bowls of water, one preferably a heatproof casserole for the fish balls and the other for wetting your hands
- To shape fish balls: wet your hands and spoon some of the fish mixture into your palm. Close your fist and allow the mixture to emerge from the hole formed by your thumb and index finger.
- As the balls emerge, use a wet spoon to take the ball and release it into the water in the casserole dish.
- When all the balls have been formed, put casserole on stove top, slowly bringing it to a boil. Remove each ball as it floats to the surface of the water and place in a bowl of cold water.
- At this point, the fish balls may be stored several days in a sealed jar of cold water in the refrigerator.
NOTE: To make fish cake instead of balls, shape the fix mixture into flat cakes. This can be fried or boiled.