For many a Jamaican patty is not complete without a Coco bread. It is used to sandwich Jamaican patties. Here is a simple coco bread recipe.
- 1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 c. milk
- 3 TBS shortening
- 1 yeast cake
- 1/4 c. lukewarm water
- About 3-1/2 c. flour
- Mix the cocoa, sugar, and salt.
- Add the milk, which has been scalded, and the shortening.
- Let stand until lukewarm and add the yeast, which has been softened in lukewarm water.
- Add enoughflour to make a dough which can be handled and knead until smooth and elastic.
- Let rise until doubled in bulk.
- Cut down and knead again.
- Shape into a loaf, place in a greased pan, and let rise until doubled in bulk.
- Bake in a moderate (350 F) oven for about 1 hour.
- Half a cup of walnut meats may be added to the dough at the second kneading.
- Makes 1 loaf.
- Eat with Jamaican Beef Patty
Recipe by board member “Ackee and Saltfish“