Made from coconut, spices, and sugar the grater cake is a delicious traditional Jamaican candy pastry that you are sure to love. Our simple recipe allows you to can get very creative. You can decorate your grater cake on special occasions. Try our quick and easy Jamaican Grater Cake Recipe.
- 2 Cups Grated Coconut (Buy it to save time)
- 3 Cups Granulated Sugar
- ¼ Cup Water
- Black Food Coloring
- Green Food Coloring
- Yellow Food Coloring
- Grease baking sheet and set aside.
- Combine coconut, sugar, and water in a pot and set to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium flame.
- Stir constantly as mixture thickens.
- Remove 1/3 of the mixture and divide into three parts.
- Add black food coloring to one part and mix.
- Add green food coloring to one part and mix.
- Add yellow food coloring to one part and mix.
- Pour uncolored mixture onto baking sheet and let it begin to set.
- Form the “X” of the flag with the yellow colored mixture.
- Place green colored mixture on the top and bottom of the flag.
- Place black colored mixture on the sides of the flag.
- Let the grata cake cool for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Cut and serve!