Advice & Help

I need to give someone power of attorney to help my mom

power-of-attorney for my ageing mum an old woman

QUESTION: Dear Legal Wiz,
Hi there! Perhaps I need to give someone (POA) power-of-attorney letter to assist me and my mum.
My mum is currently resides in Jamaica and has a five bedroom house, her memory is not what it used to be but I am concerned that a member of her family is trying to get her to sign some papers?? Not sure What they are, I have had phone calls from concerned relatives about this.

Power-of-Attorney (POA)

I am in England how can I arrange POA whilst she still has full capacity so that she is not taken advantage of?

Can you let me know the full procedure and the breakdown of your fee?

Kind regards

Peter Martin

RESPONSE: Dear Peter,
Most immediately, you will have to convince your mom to corporate in signing any power-of-attorney document to empower someone to assist you both. It may be necessary to get someone to go and check whats happening independently before deciding on any action.
Perhaps you wish to get formal consultation on all your issues you are having from a legal attorney, and we can assist in finding one for you. Otherwise, the outlined issues are vague, and before we can decide on actions necessary, clarity on the following is needed:
Are you the only child, especially with these concerns?
Did your mother sign any document to make you legally in charge of her?
Did you ever go to the Court to get legal authority of your mother?
Who will be given the suggested power of attorney to act?
What are the exact duties you require of the person getting power-of-attorney instrument?
Are you the one who wish to sign the power of attorney?
In what capacity will you sign?
What will the power-of-attorney give powers to do?
Please reply so that your issues can be further detailed to the person who may be assisting you.

USEFUL LINK: Do I have to be in Jamaica for my mom to give me power of attorney to operate there?

Legal Wiz

The above does not constitute legal advice. Inhouse senior journalists research and discuss with specialists eg attorneys-at-law, as necessary before posting responses. In conclusion, names are changed at times by request.


For attorney-support services (including research, documentation, collections, legwork, agent, property overseer, housesitter, follow ups et al) in Jamaica you may call 876-530-5744 or 305-648-6963 or simply write to [email protected] to make private arrangements beyond the commitment of this mediahouse.
Critically the Legal Wiz networks professionals from fields in the interest of all Jamaicans and persons relating with Jamaicans.
Physical office is at Suite # 1, 3 South Avenue, Swallowfield, Kingston 5, Jamaica West Indies. Rates may apply. See more

About the author

Jamaica Legal Wiz

A network of professional experts, mostly Jamaicans, from varied fields including as priority paralegal, investigation, research, real estate, construction, arts and entertainment, certified Attorneys (civil and criminal law), journalism. Information is researched, then published, on this site, in the interest of the wider public. Link me here