Jamaican Peanut porridge is a delicious breakfast treat. It is a favorite of vegetarians because it is high in protein. Before it became a mainstream dish it was categorized as “street food”, as it was mainly served by street food vendors in Jamaica. It is now enjoyed by Jamaican tourists and locals alike.
- 1 cup raw peanut
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 tbsp. Flour
- 1 tbsp Cornmeal
- ½ Cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- A pinch of nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ tsp Salt
- Water as needed (approximately 2 cups)
- Place the peanuts in a blender and process until it is almost smooth.
- Remove the peanuts and place in a container.
- Place 1 cup of water in a pot to boil and add ½ tsp of salt.
- Place the oatmeal in a blender and process until it becomes power.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, peanut, oatmeal in a container.
- Slow pour water in the container and mix the ingredients to make a liquid paste.
- Pour the liquid paste into the boiling water.
- Stir until evenly mixed. (Do not let the flour get lumpy)
- Cover and cook on medium setting. To prevent the porridge from boiling over, lift the cover and allow steam to escape.
- After 12 minutes turn the setting to low then add the vanilla extract, nutmeg, sweeten condensed milk and evaporated milk.
- Stir until evenly mixed. Cover and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Turn of the heat and allow the porridge to slightly cool before serving.