While the sweet potato may not be the first ingredient to come to mind when making jam, this recipe will convince the most skeptical cook of its versatility. The mix of carrots, lime, and sweet potato is well-suited to jam.
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1/2 lb carrots
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 table lime juice
- 4 cups water
- Pinch of salt
Get our recipes on your mobile phone. Buy our iPhone or Android Recipe App. Buy the cook book “Simple Jamaican Cooking”. Looking for Jamaican recipe ingredients & seasoning Shop Now in our online store.
- Cut the sweet potatoes and carrots into cubes and place in boiling water with salt.
- Blend the cooked potatoes and carrots in the water in which they were cooked.
- Add sugar to the mixture.
- Blend until sugar is dissolved. Add lime juice.
- Boil rapidly, stirring and scraping the sides of the pot continuously to keep the mixture from burning.
- To test if the jam is done, place cooled mixture on a cold plate.
- If it is runny, continue cooking.
- If thick and sticky, remove from heat and pour into sterilized jars and seal.