Advice & Help

I want to buy the land, and I want papers but seller has none

QUESTION: Dear Legal Wiz,
My partner and I buy a piece a land from a family friend and I wish to get a land title for it. I have no paper of it or any proof of the man ownership but I wish to buy the land official and the right way. At the moment its just capture land so how do I get to buy it or the process of getting it do if it can be done its in the rural part St. Catherine other person live in the area without any paper but I want to get my papers.
Jo Marie

It doesnt seem you know what you are doing. One sentence says you bought the land, and another says you want to buy it.
Either way, you need to see papers before you pas any monies over to buy land. Land in Jamaica is sold by paperwork. I hope you are intending to rely on an attorney-at-law before handing over any monies.

Legal Wiz

The above does not constitute legal advice. Inhouse senior journalists research and discuss with specialists eg attorneys-at-law, as necessary before posting responses. In conclusion, names are changed at times by request.


For attorney-support services (including research, documentation, collections, legwork, agent, property overseer, housesitter, follow ups et al) in Jamaica you may call 876-530-5744 or 305-648-6963 or simply write to [email protected] to make private arrangements beyond the commitment of this mediahouse.
Critically the Legal Wiz networks professionals from fields in the interest of all Jamaicans and persons relating with Jamaicans.
Physical office is at Suite # 1, 3 South Avenue, Swallowfield, Kingston 5, Jamaica West Indies. Rates may apply. See more

About the author

Jamaica Legal Wiz

A network of professional experts, mostly Jamaicans, from varied fields including as priority paralegal, investigation, research, real estate, construction, arts and entertainment, certified Attorneys (civil and criminal law), journalism. Information is researched, then published, on this site, in the interest of the wider public. Link me here