Ingredients for filling:
- 1 cup Water
- 1 ½ cups Grated Coconut
- 1 ½ cups Brown Sugar
- ¼ tsp. Grated Nutmeg
- 1 oz. Butter
- Boil water and sugar together to make syrup (low heat)
- Add the grated coconut and Nutmeg to the syrup.
- Stir the ingredients so it does not thicken. Boil for 15 minutes
- Add the butter
- Stir ingredients for another 6 minutes. Be sure the butter is not visible in the filling.
- Allow the filling to cool.
Ingredients for pastry:
- 2 cups Flour
- Ice water
- 1 tsp. Shortening
- 1 tbsp. Butter
- ½ tsp. Salt
- Sift flour and salt together.
- Cut the butter and shortening in to small pieces, add to the flour along with the cold water.
- Make into pastry (dough).
- Place the pastry into a plastic wrapping or foil wrap.
- Put the pastry in the fridge for ½ an hour.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the pastry on a cutting board to a ¼ inch thickness. (Flour the board first)
- Cut circles in the pastry using an 8-oz cup/glass. (You can also use a cookie cutter)
- Cut 16 circles from it
- Crimping (Pinch) each of the pastry circles to form a casing. It will be holder for the filling.
- Crimp in a uniform pattern as this will give the decorated effect.
- Place the casings on a greased tray and part-bake in the oven (at about 350 degrees Fareinheit for 15 minutes)
- Place the pasty on a greased baking sheet. Bake the dough pieces at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes.
- Remove it from the oven and then add the filling to the baked pastry. Bake the gizzadas for another 20 minutes.
- Remove them from the oven allow to cool.
- The gizzadas are now ready to be served!,