An appealing mixture of nutritious breadfruit and blended fruits, this cake is a sweet treat that also brings substantial and traditional Jamaican food values to the table. Fruit Cake (Black Cake) is especially popular amongst Jamaican and Caribbean people during Christmas time.
- 8 oz. margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 Tablespoon browning
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup ripe breadfruit, peeled and mashed/ pureed
- 1 cup Red Label wine
- 1 Tablespoon brandy
- 1 Tablespoon white rum
- Blended fruits
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Cream together the butter and sugar in a large bowl.
- Add beaten eggs to the mixture.
- Add vanilla and browning and mix well.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- Add the flour mixture, one cup at a time, to the batter, alternating with the cold breadfruit puree and the wine, rum and brandy.
- Add blended fruits, then pour the mixture into a greased 10-inch cake tin.
- Bake until done. (A toothpick inserted into the cake will come out clean when it is done).
- Icing is optional.