Callaloo and Saltfish is a Jamaican favorite. It is served any day of the week but is popularly eaten for breakfast on a Saturday or Sunday morning. It is served with boiled green bananas, yam and flour dumpling.
- 1 lb. callaloo
- 1/2 lb. Saltfish (codfish)
- 1 sprig tyme
- 1 crushed garlic or 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon margarine or vegetable oil
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 medium chopped onion
- black pepper
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup water
Get our recipes on your mobile phone. Buy our iPhone or Android Recipe App. Buy the cook book “Simple Jamaican Cooking”. Looking for Jamaican recipe ingredients & seasoning Shop Now in our online store.
- Wash callaloo leaves
- Cut up callaloo leaves in pieces.
- Sauté saltfish, onion, garlic, pepper, tyme in margarine or oil
- Add cut up callaloo leaves, water and stir.
- Cover saucepan and cook callalloo are tender.
- Add whole scotch bonnet pepper
- Sprinkle with pepper and salt.
- Simmer then serve with avocado pear, boil banana and/or fried dumplings.