Jamaican Pepperpot soup is a great way to eat vegetables. This recipe is flexible. You can easily make a vegetarian version of this soup by removing the meat and using vegetable bullion cubes.
- 1 lb Callaloo (approximately 8 stalks) –
- ½ lb. okra
- ½ lb. pig’s tail and/or ½ lb. salt beef
- Flour dumplings
- ½ lb yam and dasheen
- 1 Stalk escallion
- 3 Stalks fresh Thyme
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper
- ½ Cup Coconut Milk
- Black Pepper
- 3 Quarts water
- Soak the ½ lb. pig’s tail and ½ lb. salt beef overnight
- Cook the pig’s tail and beef until both are tender
- Add the callalloo Boil meat and vegetables.
- Puree vegetables and return to the pot adding dumpling.
- Then add the diced yam, dasheen, coconut milk, and other seasonings to taste.
- Add the whole Scotch bonnet pepper to the pot.
- Add the spinner flour dumplings
- Simmer for approximately 45 minutes to an hour.
- Add black pepper and stir
- Serve hot
PS: If fresh Callaloo is not available use the canned one