Mackerel Run Down is an old-time Jamaican favorite. Served with “food” which typically means boiled yellow yam, fried or roasted breadfruit, boiled or fried dumplings, boiled green bananas and fried plantain. Try my Mackerel Run Down recipe.
- 2 lbs pickled boneless mackerel
- 2 Cup Coconut Milk or 1 Can Coconut Milk
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Large Onion, chopped fine
- 2 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 Stalks Escallion, chopped fine
- 2 Large Tomatoes, chopped fine
- 4 Sprigs Thyme
- 1 Scotch Bonnet Pepper, chopped fine (optional)
- 1 tbsp Vinegar
- Black Pepper
- To remove some of the salt from the mackerel, soak in water overnight or boil in hot water for 30 minutes. (A combination of this can be done if the mackerel is still salty.)
- Drain the water off the mackerel and cut it into small pieces.
- Combine milk and water in a frying pan and boil until it looks oily.
- Add the mackerel and cover the pot. Cook for 10-12 minutes on medium heat.
- Add and stir the onion, garlic, scallion, tomatoes, scotch bonnet pepper, thyme, and vinegar.
- Add Salt and Pepper to taste
- Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with green bananas, yam, roast breadfruit, and dumplings, if available.