Steamed Cabbage and Saltfish is a great meal for breakfast or dinner. It takes a few minutes to cook and can be served with just about anything.
- 1 medium cabbage
- 1/2 lb. Saltfish (codfish)
- 2 tablespoon margarine
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper (cut up and add for spicy)
- 2 sprig tyme
- 1 crushed garlic or 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 or 3 small slices of a sweet green pepper.
- 1 medium chopped onion or 2 table spoon onion powder
- black pepper
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup water
Shop Now for Jamaican recipe ingredients & seasoning in our online store.
- Wash cabbage
- Cut up/slice cabbage leaves in pieces.
- Soak saltfish in water to remove some of the salt or boil. in water for 5-7 minutes
- Cut or pick up the saltfish to make small pieces.
- Sauté saltfish, onion, garlic, pepper, tyme in margarine.
- Add cut up cabbage water and stir.
- Cover saucepan and cook cabbage are tender.
- Add whole scotch bonnet pepper
- Sprinkle with pepper and salt.
- Simmer then serve the Steamed Cabbage and Saltfish with, yellow yam, boiled dumpling, fried dumpling (Johnny cake), boiled banana, avocado pear.